OBJECTIVE: Consistent long-term follow-up data of thoracic endovascular repair (TEVAR) for acute blunt thoracic aortic injury (BTAI) are largely absent at this time. The late outcomes of TEVAR for BTAI are the focus of this study to evaluate the durability of this type of repair. METHODS: The records of 46 consecutive cases of TEVAR for BTAI from November 2000 to August 2012 were reviewed. Patient demographics, lesion characteristics, procedure details, and outcomes were recorded. We performed a clinical and body computed tomography angiography follow-up at 1, 6, and 12 months after the intervention; thereafter, it was done on a yearly basis if device-related defects were ruled out. RESULTS: There were 35 (76.1%) males. Mean age was 39 ± 18 years (range, 17-92). Indications for intervention were BTAI at the aortic isthmus in 73.9% (n = 34) of the cases, and in the proximal one-half of the descending thoracic aorta in the remaining 26.1% (n = 12). Pseudoaneurysm or free rupture accounted for 44 (95.6%) cases. Primary technical success was obtained in all cases. All patients survived the intervention, open conversion was never required, and no patient required reintervention. In-hospital mortality was 6.5% (n = 3). Mean follow-up was 66 ± 46 months (range, 1-144; median, 72). No patient was lost during this period. All patients who were discharged from the hospital are still alive. Aortic hematoma or hemothorax were completely reabsorbed in 42 (97.7%) cases. Endoleak or modifications of the native aorta were never detected; endograft-related complication was observed in one (2.3%) case only. An asymptomatic collapse was observed at a 36-month follow-up and was managed conservatively. CONCLUSIONS: Midterm follow-up of TEVAR for acute BTAI is feasible with satisfactory late outcomes. In our experience, TEVAR is a durable and definitive treatment for BTAI.

Outcomes of endovascular repair for blunt thoracic aortic injury

Piffaretti, G.;CASTELLI, PATRIZIO
2013

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Consistent long-term follow-up data of thoracic endovascular repair (TEVAR) for acute blunt thoracic aortic injury (BTAI) are largely absent at this time. The late outcomes of TEVAR for BTAI are the focus of this study to evaluate the durability of this type of repair. METHODS: The records of 46 consecutive cases of TEVAR for BTAI from November 2000 to August 2012 were reviewed. Patient demographics, lesion characteristics, procedure details, and outcomes were recorded. We performed a clinical and body computed tomography angiography follow-up at 1, 6, and 12 months after the intervention; thereafter, it was done on a yearly basis if device-related defects were ruled out. RESULTS: There were 35 (76.1%) males. Mean age was 39 ± 18 years (range, 17-92). Indications for intervention were BTAI at the aortic isthmus in 73.9% (n = 34) of the cases, and in the proximal one-half of the descending thoracic aorta in the remaining 26.1% (n = 12). Pseudoaneurysm or free rupture accounted for 44 (95.6%) cases. Primary technical success was obtained in all cases. All patients survived the intervention, open conversion was never required, and no patient required reintervention. In-hospital mortality was 6.5% (n = 3). Mean follow-up was 66 ± 46 months (range, 1-144; median, 72). No patient was lost during this period. All patients who were discharged from the hospital are still alive. Aortic hematoma or hemothorax were completely reabsorbed in 42 (97.7%) cases. Endoleak or modifications of the native aorta were never detected; endograft-related complication was observed in one (2.3%) case only. An asymptomatic collapse was observed at a 36-month follow-up and was managed conservatively. CONCLUSIONS: Midterm follow-up of TEVAR for acute BTAI is feasible with satisfactory late outcomes. In our experience, TEVAR is a durable and definitive treatment for BTAI.
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/11383/1894523
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 3
  • Scopus 26
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 21
social impact