To investigate patients treated with radiotherapy (RT) for laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) in order to estimate the recurrence rate and treatment used as salvage surgery. The survival rate in the group of patients treated with salvage surgery was compared to that of patients who had chemotherapy rather than surgery or who refused any treatment. METHODS: From 1989 to 1999, 185 patients came to our institution for laryngeal SCC. All of them underwent RT as primary treatment. Only patients with a minimum of three years follow-up (n = 143) were included in the study group. RESULTS: The 143 cases included 22 loco-regional recurrences (15.3%) during the minimum three years of follow-up. Recurrence was observed in the larynx in eighteen cases (81.8%), in cervical nodes in one case (4.55%) and in both the larynx and cervical nodes in one case (4.55%). There was peristomal recurrence in two cases (9.1%). Recurrence was observed after an average of 16.3 months. Fourteen patients (63.6%) out of the twenty-two cases of recurrence underwent salvage surgery. Surgery was not performed on the remaining eight patients (36.4%). The global survival rate was 92.3% after three years and 66.6% after five years in the group of patients treated with surgery. The actuarial survival rate was 100% after three years and 83.3% after five years. The global and actuarial survival rate was 20% after three years and 0% after five years in the group of patients who received chemotherapy rather than surgery or who refused any kind of treatment. CONCLUSION: The RT seems to play an important role in the loco-regional control of laryngeal SCC (especially in glottic T1). Salvage surgery for recurrence results in a good survival rate.
|Data di pubblicazione:||2005|
|Titolo:||Salvage surgery after radiation failure in squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx|
|Codice identificativo ISI:||WOS:000238253700001|
|Codice identificativo Scopus:||2-s2.0-33644839496|
|Codice identificativo Pubmed:||16255494|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||Articolo su Rivista|